There’s new drum sample software called Addictive Drums that looks to be a cross between EZ drummer, Battery 3 and BFD. Its GUI looks like BFD and EZ, but unlike those it has built-in DSP. Its effects tab looks similar to Battery 3.
Click on the buttons at the top that say "do not push" them to hear the what a few of the stock kits sound like. The lo-fi Old School Funk kit is something the other libraries haven’t done yet and the Live On Stage kit sounds great as well.
It’s slated to ship mid December and will retail for $229
Main Features (from the companies Web site)
- All sampled drum/cymbal sounds are recorded with a multi channel mic setup, just as you would record a real drum kit.
- Extensive layering, capturing every nuance from the softest to the hardest stroke, combined with alternating samples through out, provides unparalleled realism.
- 52 insert effects, 2 reverbs and pitch/volume envelopes for every part of the kit gives Addictive Drums the power to emulate almost any drum sound you’ve ever heard.
- The included presets make it easy to try out different styles for a track, and lets you save and re-use complete drum productions in new songs.
- A vast library of midi files in different styles, all easily accessible from within AD gives you the building blocks to create drum tracks quickly.
- T the ability to tweak the sounds (heavily if one wants to. did you look closely at what's available per kit piece in those FX/EDIT screenshots?) and save it as a preset. No external VSTs, no extra channels in your host's mixer, instant recall.
- Fast sample load times promised
- Effects can be applied everywhere, so is very flexible to make tons of different kits for different purposes.
- Powerful built-in mixer
- MIDI sequence library included. Plays user MIDI files
- Doesn’t appear to support second kick or snare. Also I didn’t see other stick types like brushes, mallets, hot rods like most other libraries have.
- You have to remap the MIDI on your drum module to get it to work with AD.
- Does not appear to work with other VST effects.
- Sample library is only 3GB
- Not as many drum/cymbal types as BFD (Comes with 5 kicks, 5 or 6 snares, 6 hats, 2 cowbells)
- It’s unclear whether it fully supports Roland hi-hat pedals